Friday, December 22, 2006

Leaving Town for 10 Days

I'll be out of town starting tomorrow and won't return until January 1st. While I'm looking forward to visiting with family and re-introducing our daughter to her grandparents, aunts, and uncles, I'm going to be a little bummed to be out of touch from the NWN community during this time. With so many people having the coming week off, we may see some interesting releases during that time -- though I'd expect most will be after January 1st.

Leading the way of impending releases is Tragedy in Tragidor by Phoenixus. I'm very interested in this release -- its NWN1 version was (so I hear) the very first module to be elected to the NWN1 hall of fame, and still is remembered by many of the older players (lebowski/furnaski in particular) as among the all-time greats in terms of the depth of its atmosphere and setting. Nevertheless, partially because I didn't enter the community until mid-2004, I never got a chance to play it. It also, reportedly, is now fairly badly broken due to patches. Therefore, I'm looking forward to playing this module in its NWN2 glory when I return from vacation--based on what I'm reading while lurking in his beta test thread at the Citadel, it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

As a preview for the upcoming release, here's an interview (dated 24 August 2002) of Phoenixus on the original module, his building philosophies, etc. Here was his synopsis of the plot and setting of the module:
Actually Tragidor takes place in the Forgotten Realms in the Silver Marches. The town itself is made up, and no it doesn't have a relation to Terrible Trouble in Tragidore the module. It's northeast of Silverymoon on a backroad that slowly winds itself into an S shape and turns back upon itself before taking you to Sundabar.

The module is about the final days of this town and the forgotten heroism of its own people on the Savage Frontier. You too are a hero, but you are only one of many. You eventually will see that not all heroes are adventurers. Sometimes they are just common people.

It was intended to portray that these people have hard lives, that are sometimes brutal and harsh, and don't always end happy. But they have courage and they have heart. More importantly, they are people, just like you and me.

Sounds wonderful. Can't wait to play! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment